Monday, April 16, 2007

playoff beard?

If you don't live in Austin, or haven't seen me in a very long time, I've got something of a beard growing on my face right now. It's not just a beard... it's a BEARD. Seriously... Think of a mountain man, or of Walt Whitman. Well, maybe not walt whitmann... definitely Paul Bunyan though.

I've been growing it since about November, and I haven't trimmed it since the beginning of march.

The rationale was, everyone would get used to me with my big bushy beard, and the day before my 2nd year defense, I'd shave it off, throwing everyone for a loop, and giving me that oh-so-slight extra edge.

However, I'm beginning to re-think my strategy. I've essentially got what amounts to a playoff beard. You don't shave a playoff beard the night before the stanley cup finals! Even more, I think it might actually distract me more than my committee members. I think Dan's the only one who ever sees me on a regular basis.

What do you think? Should keep my bear-hunting beard until after my defense?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep It!! Whoo!

Twentysomething said...

Oh Casey. Will you ever learn. The groomed beard looked good, like what you had at christmas...but I'm going to nix the whole Grizzly Adams Deen thing.

Twentysomething said...

I'm reading 'Life of Pi' and there was a line that made me chuckle because it was you to a tee, " Scientists are a friendly, hard-working, beer-drinking lot whose minds are preoccupied with sex, chess, and baseball when they are not preoccupied with science."

:-D