Thursday, September 14, 2006

Menage a trois

And then there were three...

So.... I'm beginning to collect quite a harem... of bicycles...

Quite by accident, Josh told me of the UT bicycle auction which was, fortiutously (sp?), this afternoon. He was looking for a road bike, and I tagged along to possibly purchase another mountain bike, thus allowing me to take friends out mountain biking who don't have their own bike.

I ended up winning the first bike in the auction. Well, it's half a bike, because it's missing the back wheel, has gunk on the handlebars, and needs a new chain and gearset, but, all in all, I think I got a pretty good deal. It's fairly new and with a paltry $100-$150, I can have a totally decent bike. It's a Trek 4500, which new, goes for $450+. I paid $70. I kinda almost feel bad, because there was a guy who was bidding on it before I was, and he really wanted the bike. Every time someone bid, he'd up it by $5. His final bid was $45, and then I bid $70, which was apparently out of his price range. He didn't look like a starving student though...

When the auction ended, the lady wrote the wrong price on the ticket for me to go pay, so I COULD have walked out of there with my spoils of victory for $45. I really considered it, I really did. Especially since I'm doing UT a favor by taking this bike off their hands. But, it wouldn't have been fair to the dude I outbid. If he hadn't wanted the bike so much, I probably wouldn't have said anything.

Even still, I got a great deal.

In other news, I've come up with a name for my current mountain bike: Bruno. Bruno's a hoss and can take quite a beating. And he's not pink like Gertie.

We'll see what kinda name I come up with for this new franken-bike once I get him/her all put together again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.